Painting a room?
For the avid DIY, house painting is one of the best ways to show their talents and skills in home maintenance. From choosing the best wall color to brush and roller techniques, there are so many house painting tips but possibly the best tip of all in painting your own room or your house is to take it slow. Don’t rush; hurrying will only place you at risk for committing costly errors. Don’t worry about making a mistake since paint is easily covered up.
If this is your first attempt to paint your home, be sure to remember these helpful tips:
- Have ALL your painting equipment and materials ready. This beats going out and buying more stuff which will eventually waste your time. Even when you are just painting a single wall or a small room, be ready for a complete list of materials like paint, paint brushes, rollers, masking tape, newspapers, cover for furniture and for the floor, paint thinner, paint buckets, paint trays, face masks, gloves, aprons and rags. If there are special equipment that you need to use like an air brush or small delicate brushes then be ready to have these too.
- Be sure to clean and dust the walls beforehand so that paint may adhere better. You don’t necessary need to wash the wall with soap and water, a simple dusting with a rag will do. Dust and cobwebs may cause the paint to lump and look unattractive; you may vacuum or use a broom to clean these up before you do anything.
- Assess the wall you are about to paint, take care of blotches, holes and patches first before applying paint. Prime and texture these so that paint will look flawless on your walls. For holes and imperfections, fill these out first; let these dry before you paint.
- Start with the trim and the edge of the walls first before proceeding with the actual body of the wall. Place tape and newspapers on areas that you don’t want to be painted. Use a brush to start with the edges and then use the roller to apply a perfect finish.
- In choosing paint color, buy a paint color samples or paint tiles to help you decide. You can buy these from any paint store or download it from the web. In using paint colors, choose first the primary color you wish to use and then pick the shade you will place on the different accent points of your room. For example, you pick the color brown for your bedroom; a fool-proof plan is to pick from the color palette which shade will suit best your window edges, door edges, cabinets or your windows and doors. Using a color palette will unify the color scheme of your room or home and will also be easier to pick the color that you wish to use.
- There are so many painting equipment and tools that may interest you like paint sprayers and compressors but make sure that you know how to operate each before you use on your walls. Most of these guarantee easy application of paint with the use of different techniques; make sure you work on a small piece of wood or wall first and practice on your strokes before you tackle larger walls and areas.
- Do not skimp on paint just to save on your renovation expenses. The usual ways that DIY or homeowners do to save on painting costs is diluting paint or using a cheap, low quality brand. Paint will enhance the value of your home should you decide to sell or rent it out. Following these techniques will only ruin your renovation projects.
Invest in high quality paint that will make your walls beautiful and colorful for years to come. High quality paint will never peel, will reduce moisture, will repel molds, will smell less and have more advantages than regular paint. You may compare the price of regular paint and quality paint brands and see if the price difference is worth the convenience and overall value of your home.
- If you are painting the outdoors, make sure to plan ahead and check the weather for best painting results. If the day is overcast or there is even a slight possibility of rain, cancel your paint project. Choose days when the sun is at its peak so that you can paint with ease; you will never need to hurry as well since the weather will remain sunny all day.